Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Focus

A few days ago, I posted my personal intentions for 2011.  The last thing I said was, “My biggest challenge is to stay focused and to live my life right now, in the moment, in this reality.”  I’ve been mulling that over for the past week.  Focus.  Stay focused.  But on what?

What will really make me happy?  More time to hang out and talk to my kids?  A passionate marriage?  Being less stressed, healthy and fit?  Practicing more yoga, more meditation?  Oh, I know, if I could just cook and knit and create, then I will be happy.  I will be satisfied.  I will be content.  But, wait, I’m not so sure about that.

What I’ve learned the past year or so is that I have everything I need.  My life is perfect just the way it is.  The good the bad the happy the not so happy.  It is my life.  It’s hard to see that this journey called my life is happening every second, every minute whether I choose to be aware of it or not. 

I’m trying to recognize those moments and be more mindful of how I’m choosing to spend my time.  Like choosing to actually be with my children or my husband when I’m with them.  It’s amazing to notice the difference in how we interact if I’m fully present with them. 

But back to focusing...

What exactly will help me realize a contented state?  Do I need to make a change?  Do I need a constant challenge?  And is that okay with me?  I’ll keep contemplating and let you know.

1 comment:

Tracey Velt said...

I totally agree with this! However, for me, it's means being more focused on what I'm doing when I'm doing it. So, if I'm playing with my daughter, no getting up to answer the phone, get the laundry, etc. It means giving her undivided attention for a specific amount of time. I'm sure it will make us all happier!