Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Happy July

I've been crazy busy here. Come on, I know you've been checking back here to find out what we've been up to. Well, I don't know that it has been overly exciting, but it has been busy, busy, whoa, busy!

Monday ended the 2nd quarter for work which means that I was doing everything possible to hit my numbers and bring home the moola. Mama's gotta bring home the tofu AND fry it up in a pan! It appears that I will make it to 100% to plan. Pretty exciting.

Early last week, I had to fly out to Phoenix for a business meeting. It was my first overnight without my CC! I was worried about her, but apparently, she didn't miss me too much. After a 3 hour delay in which I was stuck on a plane on the tarmac in Phoenix with my breasts about to explode and then an hour and a half plane-ride, I finally got home. For about 15 minutes, CC decided that she was going to punish me for abandoning her and she refused to nurse! I almost cried. I'm not kiddin' ya'll. First off, I had these gorging breasts that were aching. Second, I was getting pissed that one stinkin' overnight without my babe was going to ruin our perfect breastfeeding relationship. It only took a few minutes to realize that she was teasing me! If you don't believe that 10 month-olds know how to tease, you should have seen the look on her face. I looked at her and had to chuckle. It was sweet. But seriously, I desperately needed her to nurse. A few minutes later, I had her snuggled in bed with me and quickly had her intoxicated with luscious breastmilk.

(Seriously, I am absolutely amazed that I can make milk. Is that the coolest superpower you've ever heard of? Totally, out of place here, but I have to relay this T-ism....the other day, I went to L and very seriously told him that I came up with the perfect frugal solution. Instead of purchasing $7 gallons of organic cow's milk, I would just start pumping more and the family could feast on my superfuel, ie. breastmilk. I like making jokes and L chuckled, but seriously, if a farmer/middleman/store owner can get $7 for a gallon of bovine milk, how much do you think I can get for a gallon of pure Organic, vegetarian breastmilk? I mean, I'm just saying:)

Oh, yes, I was telling you about the last few days....

The weekend was nice. I got out on Saturday morning and went running with my friend, DK. We ran 4.5 miles around Lake Merced. It was wonderful to get out! But I'm also happy to say that I didn't leave the house the rest of the weekend. L and I did some gardening on Sunday. I tended our 6 tomato plants and planted 7 more more. I'm not sure we'll get much fruit from those since they were planted so late, but they were just shooting up from seeds and we decided we should take the chance. I have a small plot at the bottom of the hill where I planted them interspersed with basil plants. Heirloom tomatoes, basil, mozzarella and olive oil. Yum, Yum...I only ate that dish every day when I was in Italy!

It was great to stay home, relax, clean, cook. I spent most of the day Saturday cooking. I love doing that because then we have leftovers for the rest of the week. I made a peach pie, cucumber/dill/yogurt salad, coleslaw, a pasta dish with chard, roasted red peppers and broccoli. It was all very tasty. We ended up having our neighbors over for dinner on Sunday night. We cooked up the potatoes from the garden and also barbequed some zucchini and tofu which we mixed with quinoa. It was lovely spread of food shared with very lovely neighbors.

I took a little bit of a break from working on a grant that is due next week. It's for my neighborhood group. I know, I still have to tell you about that, but for now, I have to go to sleep. I've got to get some shut-eye before one of my children wakes. Sleep tight.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved your breastfeeding shout out! Warm and fuzzy memories! Lila, 20-months, is down to twice a day. I'm try to very gently (mostly child-led) wean her. So sad! But, I'm just about ready to have my body to myself for a bit before we get pregnant again (I've been pregnant and/or nursing for just over FOUR years). Maybe, if we're back in the US when the next baby is born, I'll donate some of my milk to a milk bank...

We don't grill enough. Matt's never home and I don't like to grill alone for some strange reason. Your meals sounded delicious.

Your garden sounds wonderful. We don't grow anything. But, I do buy local tomatoes on the vine and make fresh marinara with carmalized onions often. Yum!