Monday, August 28, 2006

The Art of Creative Cooking

I like to cook a bunch of different dishes during the weekend so that we have nice home-cooked meals throughout the week. I don't have a lot of time during the week to cook healthy nutritious meals, so I stock up on the weekends. This weekend I cleaned out the fridge and cooked all of the fresh vegetables; honestly, they needed to be cooked or soon thrown out. I hate to waste food, so the cooking began.

I'm a West-Coast cooker, meaning that I can make something from the fresh ingredients that are in season (or in this case what's in my refrigerator). I've learned how to be over the past few years. I still use recipes a lot, but after 10 years of cooking, I'm finally starting to experiment. For example, I made "zucchini surprise" Friday night. I diced up some zucchini, finely diced onions, a bell pepper, and garlic and stir-fried them. I added some frozen green beans and an onion soup mix for seasonings and viola, a quick easy dinner. I served it over quinoa. I cooked the quinoa earlier in the rice cooker. For some added flavor, I added about a 1/3 of a can of tomato soup. It was very tasty.

I've also been making a lot of beans. Dried beans are much, much more economical than canned and my daughter loves them. I made 3 batches of beans this weekend: black, pinto, and kidney beans. Most of them went into the freezer so we have plenty for future meals. I also made BBQ lentils, spinach quiche, yucca and potato au gratin, steamed beets, more quinoa, and rice. We have a bunch of lettuce and fresh spinach so we've had fresh salad for dinner each night too.

I feel so domestic...and healthy:)

No comments: